Authors, Illustrators & Poets
Author Events Online
Live children’s book broadcasts from authors and illustrators for kids, teachers, parents and carers.
Updated daily, so check regularly for more additions. Compiled by Caryl Hart and Jonathan Emmett.
Also check Caryl’s website for updates and for her books and resources here.
- Click above for Author videos, online masterclasses, chapter readings, writing challenges, book extracts and cross-curricular schemes of work to use in the classroom or home. Sign up for a free account. Check their Authorfy Classroom and Authorfy Creative sections of the website.
- 10 Minute Challenge: creativity and fun every day with the 10 Minutes Challenges. Set by bestselling authors and illustrators. Updated every day. Including Cressida Cowell, Abi Elphinstone, MG Leonard, David Baddiel and more authors and illustrators.
- Downloadable activity packs, including The Wizards of Once, Nevermoor, Mr Penguin, Giraffes Can’t Dance, Claude, the King Who banned the Dark, A Pinch of Magic, Fing and many more.
Booktrust - Fun at Home with Authors and Illustrators
*THE* Place to go for updated activities. Lots of fun booky activities – watch and listen to a book/story, watch and join in with illustrators, get writing and drawing tips and so much more.
The Big List of Children’s Authors Doing Read-Alouds and Activities
Mainly American based but some UK in there.
Click above for website.
From 23.03.20 he’ll be releasing the #AFHLEKPoPod (AF Harrold Limited Edition Kids Poetry Podcast) 3 times a week for 7 weeks. It’s 3-4 minutes long, contains one poem, a few words from him and some entirely unnecessary theme music! (also twitter)
Videos, Q&A, shemes of work, teacher’s resources, top 10 desert island reads, Dreamsnatcher playlist, biography, meet the characters.
Alex T. Smith
Join Claude author every day for funny story prompts and creative writing ideas on Twitter. He’s also hosting Q&As and planning drawalongs.
Links to fun activities and teacher’s resources from Andy’s non-fiction books and poems.
The Boy Who Drew Dragons series. Fun freebies and activity pack, posters, discussion.
- Click above for Andy's wacky website.
- Andy reads Mr Gum and the Biscuit Billionaire on YouTube.
- A podcast with Andy and Carrie Quinlan answering children’s questions in the most inaccurate ways they can think of. 18 funny episodes to listen to.
The Gruffalo illustrator Axel’s website contains biography, the books, colouring, illustrations, The Gruffalo, what he’s up to.
During closures, Chitra will be sharing writing exercises she uses in her workshops during school visits. New exercises will be added regularly. Also, trailers, writing tips, colouring, poetry, cool facts, meet the illustrators, recipes, quizzes, puzzles, recommendations.
- Downloads, activities, books, illustration and more - click on his name.
- Picture book illustrator Chris (Shhh!, We Have a Plan) reads his stories and does fun activities for children to join in with on his Facebook page
Chris Riddell (Facebook)
Chris reads a chapter a day from his and Paul Stewart’s book Hugo Pepper. On Facebook.
- Cressida reads a chapter a day from How to Train Your Dragon on YouTube
- Cressida's website here
- Wizards of Once series teacher's resources but useful also for children.
- Free Writing Friday: Cressida invites you to take part in Free Writing Friday. Cressida’s aim with Free Writing Friday is to inspire children, once a week, to write whatever they feel like in a designated book and explore creativity. Here you will find all the resources to support Free Writing Friday including writing tips from Cressida, a letter, FAQs and more!
Sky Thieves series; The Light Hunters. Videos, Q&A, resources, book trailer.
Author & illustrator of Dog Man (a World Book Day book 2020), Captain Underpants , Ook and Gluk and Ricky Ricotta. Books, biography, book trailers, how to draw like Dav, videos, colouring and other fun stuff.
Dav Pilkey at Home - will be streamed every Friday at 12 noon, beginning April 3rd. Dav will will be on the Library of Congress and Scholastic’s websites, along with Twitter (@LibraryCongress, @Scholastic) and Facebook (@LibraryofCongress, @Scholastic). Drawing lessons, read alouds, Dav's tips for children to act out scenes from his Dog Man books and for creating new characters of their own. Viewers will be able to access the videos any time after they are first streamed, as well.
Monster and Chips author. Activities include comics and drawing, colouring, dundoodle activities.
- Click on David's name above to enter his website.
- David is releasing an audiobook story for free every day on Twitter.
- 10am every Wednesday and Friday – check Ed's website for 'how to draw' videos.
- Also on Twitter (@ed_vere) and Instagram (#drawwithedvere)
- Watch it again on Facebook
- Click on Emily's name above to enter her website.
- Tuesdays and Thursdays at 11am – join Emily on Instagram. On Tuesdays, she’ll be reading one of her books and on Thursdays she’ll be hosting a drawalong of a character from that book.
Author of Letters from the Lighthouse, Frost Hollow Hall and others. Biography, books, blog, activities and teacher’s notes on her website.
The Etherington Brothers
- Join Robin and Lorenzo Etherington, British comic, book and film creators who work together as The Etherington Brothers. They created Von Doogan puzzle adventures for The Phoenix. Their clients include Disney, DreamWorks, Aardman, and the BBC. They have also worked on Star Wars, Transformers, Kung Fu Panda and How to Train Your Dragon
- Read some chapters from their comics and books
- 300 free How to Think When You Draw tutorials
- Free 50-page course on How to Make Comics, drawing lessons, puzzles, brain-teasers, lesson plans and much more (on Twitter).
Frank will be posting stories on his Instagram.
J.K. Rowling & Harry Potter
- About J.K. Rowling, discussion guides, the books, fun stuff.
- Harry Potter At Home hub - a free online collection of child-friendly activities, videos, puzzles, illustrations, quizzes, creative ideas, articles, audio book of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone and much more, that will help you bring the magic of the wizarding world into your home at this difficult time – as well as keep you all occupied for hours on end!
- Listen to Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone on Audible.
- Click on his name above to enter James's website.
- 3pm every weekday – James Mayhew will be telling stories both recorded and live. Broadcast first on Facebook, these will be on YouTube then shared to Facebook and Twitter straight afterwards.
Finish the comic, blank comic book pages, drawing/writing prompts, make your own character, name the gadget and decide what it’s buttons do – loads of fun drawing, writing and imaginative activities.
Join Jim as he draws Oi! Frog! and other delights. Picture books aren't just for small children, so join in!
John reads a chapter each day from his new unpublished story The Health & Safety Pirates on his YouTube channel. Updates with new chapters every day at 10am.
- Click above for Jonathan's website for lots of fun activities and games.
- 11am every Friday – Storytime. Join Jonathan live every Friday on Facebook for some picture book fun.
- Joseph reads out some of his poems and stories and gives writing tips and advice. Watch interviews with him and download resources from his website. Click on his name above.
- Lots of ideas, activities and resources also on Twitter.
EYFS/KS1/KS2. Julia’s website contains masses of information, including biography, picture books, early fiction, fiction, poems, songs, plays, Songbirds Phonics, educational books, big books, audio, musicals. Phew!
Resources and extract for Nevertell.
At Home with Kwame Alexander (Years 5 & 6)
Free Writing, Reading, and Learning Resources for children (and their teachers)/parents!) Be inspired through poetry and literature with powerful insight from award-winning author Kwame Alexander and some of his friends. These short videos and quick lessons offer a practical and fun way to teach (and learn) at home.
- Join the author of The Goldfish Boy, The Light Jar, The Boy Who Fooled the World and Owen and the Soldier on her website. Biography, blog, books, teaching notes and more.
- 9.30am every Monday morning, Lisa will be chatting about books, reading and writing. Writing prompts on Instagram lisathompsonwrites
During school closures there will be a funny poem a day from Liz’s blog. Poetry, news, resources, interviews with best children’s poets, tips on how to write poems, fun activities, poetry reviews, A-Z list of children’s poets.
- Enter Marcus's website by clicking on his name above.
- The author is recording a chapter of his book Floodland every day and posting videos on his website.
- Click on Matt's name above for his website where you'll find the books, biography, podcasts.
- Mondays at 4pm - Matt will be reading from his books on Facebook (MattBrownWriter). Each reading will lead to a chat about different types of writing (20mins). The plan is to get kids writing too. Aimed at KS2.
Who Let the Gods Out resources.
During school closures, Meg has made all of the worksheets from her books The Station Mouse, Pigeon P.I. and Life Is Magic available to download on my website. There are drawing activities, colouring in and puzzles too.
- Excellent website. Large number of video masterclasses on how to write, with Francesca Simon (Horrid Henry). Videos of Michael reading his poems and stories. Biography.
- Links to his TV and radio appearances.
- Michael’s official Youtube channel, with him reading and acting out his poems and stories. Free to subscribe and excellent!
- Mo's website here. Peek into the mind of an author (Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! etc. Website includes fun and games, info about Mo, interviews, videos.
- Mo Willems invites YOU into his studio every day for his LUNCH DOODLE. Learners worldwide can draw, doodle and explore new ways of writing by visiting Mo’s studio virtually once a day for the next few weeks. Grab some paper and pencils, pens, or crayons and join Mo to explore ways of writing and making together. New episodes will be posted each weekday at 5pm GMT and then remain online to be streamed afterwards. Check back each weekday for new LUNCH DOODLES!
Read loads of Neal’s poems online. Author information.
The official website for younger readers. Watch the latest Neil Gaiman videos and see Neil (and some famous friends!) read fantastic The Graveyard Book and Coraline (both Years 5 & 6 recommended) in their entirety. Trailers, Meet Neil Gaiman, the books, illustrators, games and activities.
Nick Sharratt’s drawing tips. The illustrator behind Jacqueline Wilson and Jeremy Strong books.
- Oliver’s books and illustrations can be found here on his website.
- Via Instagram (@oliverjeffers) every day at 6pm GMT (after 30th March a possible different time so check) and then archived on his website afterwards. He will be reading one of his books every weekday, and talking about some of the things that went into making it.
- Youtube videos of some of Oliver’s books and trailers.
- Click here for Paul's website for his biography, the books, poems, audio, video, free resources for children, teachers and parents.
- From Monday 23rd March, Paul will be posting poems every day on his Youtube channel
Author of the Cogheart series. Books, videos and activities.
- Information about reading aloud stories here during school closures.
- On Instagram Live, Piers will be reading his stories out loud daily on weekdays at 2.30pm every day, beginning with The Last Wild. The chapters will be available there for 24 hours.
- Story starters with Piers on Instagram.
- Piers' website here , with extracts, interviews, trailers.
- Click here for teacher's resources for The Last Wild.
- Creating writing workshops here on Twitter.
Philip Ardagh’s Books & Things on his Youtube channel. Lots of quirky videos and readalongs.
Resources, book trailers, interviews, activities.
Watch videos of Quentin drawing, tips on drawing, fun stuff, biography and more on his website.
- Starting 25.03.20, the author is reading live from her bestselling book Wonder, every weekday at 5pm GMT on Twitter (twitter.com/rjpalacio)
- For her website, click here.
Teacher’s guides, discussion notes and other information for Percy Jackson and other Riordan books.
Quizzes, biographical information, Dahl’s writing tips, revolting recipes, teacher’s notes more.
Rob will be posting a brand new Draw with Rob video here every Tuesday and Thursday at 10am GMT. They will be permanently available as a free resource.
For Rob's website click here.
The Detective Society’s Top-Secret Files resources. Books include Murder Most Unladylike series, Deepdean Mini Mysteries, The Guggenheim Mystery.
Lesson plans, posters, blogs about writing, videos of the author reading extracts from his books.
For SF Said's website, click here.
Click here for Live twitter chats on Tuesdays 1-2pm, answering questions about his books and chatting about reading,
- For Sarah's website, click on her name above. Fun activities and information about her books, comics and illustrations.
- On YouTube, meet the writer and illustrator of Grumpycorn, get a taste of the book, learn how to draw Unicorn step by step and discover how to let your drawing inspire a whole new story. Share your drawings on social media using #DrawingWithSarah
- On Twitter, fun drawing activities, draw with Sarah and send your drawing to her twitter account.
Sean C Jackson
Author of the book From Here to There: a book of mazes to wander and explore. Downloadable and printable fun mazes to complete.
Click on Steven's name above for his website. Illustrator of The Nothing to See Here Hotel, Cruella, David Baddiel books, Shifty McGifty and Slippery Sam, etc.
Join Steven for some great Drawalong videos on YouTube.
Dave Pigeon fun stuff and activities.
Free powerpoints, photocopiable resources and first chapter extracts for all Tom's books to support children, schools and libraries in class and home work and encourage reading and writing for pleasure.
Varjak Paw read by Phil Wickins
Phil will be reading one chapter each day on weekdays at 6.30pm starting Monday 23rd March on YouTube.